Sudden Cardiac Arrest at Sea
Preparing for Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) on Recreational and Work Boats, and the deployment of an AED is Critical in the response, treatment and survivability of Sudden Cardiac Arrest.
Boaters invest a great deal in making their vessels ship shape and safe, from high-end electronics, to communications and safety gear such as life rafts, personal flotation devices, visual distress signals, boater education; the list goes on and on. However, of all the boaters I talk with hardly any prepare for a Sudden Cardiac Arrest at sea.
The fact is that even on the beautiful waters of the Puget Sound with the Seattle Skyline in full view, you are looking at 30 minutes before medical care gets to you, and thats on a good day. Best bet is that a CG UH65 is flying over when the SCA strikes and even then you are several minutes from advanced medical care.
Wouldn’t it make sense to have an AED (Automated external difibrillator) onboard your vessel?
Check out These AED Maritime Options
- AEDs Automated External Defibrillator on Yachts, Fishing Boats, Tug and Barge
- For the Recreational Boater Who Needs a Space Saving Solution
Lets face it, it is a numbers game for surviving an SCA. For every minute that goes by, the chances of survival drop by 10%. Survival varies widely among communities yet overall averages around 8% in the U.S. Implementing a system of care including early recognition, 9-1-1 CPR instructions, early defibrillation, and high-quality professional CPR, along with guideline – based, post-arrest care could save as many as half of these victims.
Using ZOLL’s proprietary technology, rescuers in Mesa, Arizona were able to significantly increase the depth of the compressions, apply the proper rate of compressions, limit compression interruptions, shorten their pre-shock pause, and better deliver ventilations at the recommended rate–all in compliance with the 2010 American Heart Association (AHA) Guidelines, which place a strong emphasis on high-quality CPR as a means of improving survival from cardiac arrest.
These results are the findings of the four-year endeavor called the Arizona Pre-hospital CPR Quality Improvement Project that was undertaken by the Mesa Fire/Medical Department in conjunction with the Save Hearts in Arizona Registry & Education (SHARE) Program.
“The fact that more than twice as many people returned home to their families after suffering a cardiac arrest is the outcome that most interests us in Arizona. The credit really goes to the Mesa Fire/Medical Department. It is remarkable that 56% of witnessed ventricular fibrillation OHCA victims in the City of Mesa survived with good functional outcome after they implemented the training and real-time audiovisual CPR feedback intervention,” said Ben Bobrow, MD, Medical Director for the Arizona Department of Health Services’ Bureau of EMS and Trauma System and lead author of the study.
Northwest Response has the perfect AED Packages for the recreational boater and/or the professional mariner.
This is what is included with this Zoll AED Plus® Maritime Package
1) Zoll AED Plus® Features an LCD screen showing voice prompt messages, device advisory messages, elapsed time, shock count and chest compression graph.
- Graphical AED Cover for Public Safety
- Small Weather Proof Pelican Case with cut-outs for AED Plus®
- 1-(one) Set of Adult CPR-D•pad z
- 1-(one) sleeve of batteries
- Rx -Medical prescription
- Operator’s Guide
- Training & Set-up DVD
- 1- AED Window Alert Sticker
- 1- PPE Responder Kit with CPR Mask, Scissors & Gloves
Want Training? Call our office and one of our AED & First Aid, CPR Specialist can train you onboard your own vessel: 253-358-2447
You deserve an automated external defibrillator (AED) that helps you all the time. And, only one AED can actually see when you are doing CPR and help you do it well. You need more than just commands, without assistance. That’s not smart, and it’s certainly not helping.
ZOLL’s AED Plus® features Real CPR Help®, a CPR feedback tool that is able to actually see what you are doing and provide feedback to help you do it well.
Audio and visual prompts help you rescue with confidence and clarity unmatched by any other automated external defibrillator (AED).
- Not pushing hard enough? It will tell you when to push harder.
- Pushing hard enough? It will say, “Good compressions.”
- Not pushing fast enough? A metronome will lead you to the right rate.
- It will even show you the depth of each compression. In real time.
- Not yet started? The AED Plus will tell you again to get started.
- Compressions stopped? It will tell you to continue.
ZOLL believes AEDs should not just deliver a shock. They should also help the rescuer provide high-quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). That’s why you need ZOLL AEDs, the AED Pluswith Real CPR Help.
The AED Plus Offers:
- Real CPR Help for rate and depth of compressions.
- Support for the complete Chain of Survival.
- Help to all victims of SCA, even those for which no shock is advised.
- A one-piece electrode pad for fast and accurate placement.
- Our AEDs use consumer lithium camera batteries available from retail stores.
Other Important Features:
- Intelligent Pediatric Capability
- ZOLL’s Rectilinear Biphasic™ Waveform
- Total AED Program Management with En-Pro™
- Able to follow Guidelines 2010