HEBRON — In some situations, timing is everything.
“Essentially I was told I basically died and the defibrillator saved my life,” said Jackie Bartley, just 41, of Burlington.
He was in a meeting Feb. 19 with two other managers when he started getting hot, and he could not understand his co-workers, he said.
Then he woke up with people around him.
A weak muscle in his heart caused him to go into cardiac arrest, he said.
When Bartley lost consciousness, several employees responded, calling 911, performing CPR, and using the defibrillator.
According to the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute website, an AED is a portable device that checks the heart rhythm and, if needed, can send an electric shock in an attempt to restore a normal rhythm.
Frank Baker was in the meeting with Bartley. He called it a miracle.
Even more so because employees had not gone through training yet; that was Feb. 24.[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
“To learn in the training that you have a 40 percent chance of surviving or bringing someone back to life, that hit it home for me,” Baker said. “I was like wow. I didn’t think much of it when we plugged it in. We though oh, he’ll come back out of this.”
Bonfiglioli vice president of operations David Hall said, “We as a company understand that everything fell into place at the right time.”
He said an AED as something that’s “not required, but nice to have.” The company said that, from a safety perspective, it wanted to make sure it was available “in a just-in-case situation.”
“(It’s) definitely one of the best investments we’ve ever made in our company,” said Hall.
“They saved his life, they really did,” Hebron Fire Protection District Capt. Tony Scheben said.
According to Scheben, the percentage of the AED shock working goes down with every minute that passes.
“They had this on so fast, he had a heart beat again before we got there,” he said.
He gave kudos to the company for having the AED, training its employees and “not being afraid to use it.”
“I think it’s a great example of how the forward thinking of the company really benefited their employees,” said Scheben. “The need for early access to these within the first minute or two of cardiac arrest makes a difference. Having them on-site is valuable to the time … If that can be done long before we get there, the outcome is usually much better.”
Bartley says acquiring an AED is the best thing any company can do.
“It saved my life,” he said. “There’s no other way to put it. I would not be here today without that device.”